Born in Pontiac, Illinois, John Riccolo was educated at the University of Notre Dame, where he worked his way through school as an athletic trainer. John continued his education at John Marshall Law School in Chicago, where he graduated with honors in 1977. After law school, John and his wife, Diane, moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where they have lived for over 30 years. During that time, John and Diane raised three daughters, Jennifer, Erin, and Megan. Much of John’s community service has involved Cedar Rapids Washington, the high school attended by his daughters. In his free time, John enjoys playing tennis, golfing, skiing, and going to Fighting Irish football games.
John has devoted his legal career to helping individuals and families who have been devastated by serious injury or medical error. John’s legal work has resulted in numerous honors, including:
• A listing in The Best Lawyers in America
• AV rating from Martindale Hubbell
• Induction into Million Dollar Advocates Forum
• Election as a Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
• Certification by the American Board of Trial Advocates
John currently represents Iowa on the Board of Governors of the American Association for Justice. He is a past president of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, the Iowa Association for Justice and the Young Lawyers Division of the Iowa State Bar Association. John was appointed by the Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court to serve as the Chair of the Iowa Judicial Qualifications Commission, the commission that investigates and responds to all complaints against Iowa judges. John has also served on the state commission that selects judges for the 6th Judicial District (Benton, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn and Tama Counties).
John is the co-author of the following Iowa Legal Insider Guides:
• The Guide to Iowa Car Accident Claims
• The Guide to Iowa Workers’ Compensation Claims
• The Guide to Iowa Medical Malpractice Claims
• The Guide to Iowa Truck Accident Claims
• The Guide to Iowa Motorcycle Accident Claims
• The Guide to Iowa Nursing Home Abuse Claims